Tuesday, September 7, 2010

We made it!

After almost 24 hours of traveling we are finally in Florence AND connected to internet!!  I can't believe we are already here and settling into our apartment, when just yesterday (actually now it's 2 days ago) I was saying a tearful goodbye to my family.  The flights were actually pretty good, especially since we were upgraded to economy plus and were able to sit next to each other on the way over (that wasn't the case when we booked the flight)!  Flying into Geneva was gorgeous because we were surrounded by the alps and the sun was just rising.  We landed in Geneva around 1 am US time so we pretty beat and had a 4 hour layover so Courtney and my moods ranged from happy, delirious, exhausted, grumpy, then back to delirious again.  By the time we got on our Alitalia flight to Rome I didn't even have the energy to be terrified of flying and just slept the entire time.  I think that is the way I should go for flying from now on, just not sleep 24 hours before instead of taking xanax!  Alitalia totally redeemed itself from the nightmare I had on my first trip to Rome with them since they had a new plane, lots of room, and good snacks!  There was one casualty from our flights over though...one of the wheels from my 50lb suitcase was mysteriously missing when our luggage came out.  Missing wheel = heavy suitcase to basically drag around = crampy Jennie (combo of grumpy and cranky, coined by Matt).  Court was trying to keep me positive that at least I got my suitcase, and since I know how that feels from the first time I came to Rome she was right...i should be thankful it was just the wheel that was missing!  It did get harder to be thankful of that though as we were only really halfway through our journey...

The train into Rome was pretty uneventful, but the 2 hour layover in Termini was pretty hard.  We were so tired and hungry so we just parked ourselves and our bags in front of the train board and got a couple sandwiches to go and waited for our platform to be announced.  Our train to Florence was good I think...we slept the whole time so I'm not sure (I also accidentally drooled which was super attractive I'm sure, I don't think anyone saw though thank god).  Our cabbie in Florence was so cute and when he lifted my bag he exclaimed something to the effect of "AHH what is this filled with, Chianti??"  I would try to write that in Italian, but I don't want to embarrass myself this early in the game on my first blog :)

Our landlord was nice, a bit spacey, but we are pretty much all set up except when we turn on the tv there are no channels and it immediately starts a countdown from 5 minutes before it turns off...so weird. Our apt is super cute!  A bit smaller than the pics, but we unpacked all last night and settled in nicely.  We have a super cute balcony too where we plan on having tons of cappuccinos.  I can't wait to explore more, Court and I are just taking a siesta - part of our plan of living la dolce vita!  Soon we will head out for an aperitivo e vino and then we're going to test our kitchen with some pasta and veggies and of course more wine!

Here are some pics of the apt:



From top: dining/living room, view from the bed of the kitchen and then the view from our balcony! Kinda ominous outside today....


 Ciao ciao!

3 comments:

  1. When you leave to come home you should be really cool and get one of those metal things with wheels and attach your bag with a bungee cord and roll the 50lb bag around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love your apartment! Glad you guys made it and hope you will enjoy a glass of wine for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute apartment; it feels cozy and homey. Not like the Spartan one. Thanks for sharing. The landlord spacey? Hum it reminds me of someone… Could it be a European thing?

    ReplyDelete