Sunday, December 19, 2010

Neve in Firenze!


So it snowed a LOT in Florence on Friday.  So much so that apparently they even closed the train station and none of the fast trains could stop there.  The city was covered in probably 4-6 inches and there were broken down buses and cars everywhere...it's like what happens in MD when it snows.  Whenever I see people freak out about snow I automatically go back to my Pittsburgh days and when I finally had the realization that they do not care when it snows there.  Nothing closes, roads are still packed, and if they don't get the snow plows out for a few hours after the snow starts?  Meh.  Now that I think about it, I don't think I saw any plows in Florence - I wonder if they have them??

Well we had planned to go over to Jess and Kate's anyways to celebrate Kate's completion of her finals! Prosecco in hand, Caroline and I braved the weather for the 25 minute walk.  It was madness out there!

Here are some pics...
You can barely make out the Ponte Vecchio through the snow

the piazza right next to our apt

After we had our prosecco, while listening to Christmas tunes, we headed out to meet Giada for aperitivo.  And after that we stopped by the German Christmas market for hot cider and rum (yum!  Much better than mulled wine).  Our night then continued with us heading to a little pub near the girl's apt (soon to be my apt!) and had a variety of drinks each trying to warm ourselves up...Guiness (me), red wine, hot whiskey, irish coffee...  Having warmed ourselves up a bit we decided it would be a good idea to walk 20 minutes to another bar to see our friend Mel, and on this walk there were some spills - though Giada wins with her fall while holding a cigarette in one hand and talking on the phone in the other.  Miraculously she didn't lose either of them!  The night then escalated as it always does and we didn't get home til about 3 am.  That walk home was the worst since mixing ice + alcohol = bruised knees in the morning.  It was a very fun night out with the girls and we hadn't had one in a while so I think we deserved it!  Needless to say we celebrated Kate's freedom for a few weeks and we celebrated right! :)
Tree at the Duomo covered in snow

As for today, it is the last day of the Christmas market so we are going for one last cider and cinnamon twirl from Hungary.  I'll try to take a picture since it is one of the best things on earth!

Hope you all have a wonderful Sunday!!  Less than a week til Christmas!! :o)




No comments:

Post a Comment